Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
Hydrocarbon exploration has increasingly moved into volcanic basins, where intra-volcanic discoveries have been made. Through analogue studies, this project will address the many uncertainties that still remain concerning lava field sedimentation, reservoir architectures and properties, migration pathways and the effects of volcanism on sub-volcanic sedimentary sections. There are five main elements to this phase that address these uncertainties as well as being of specific relevance to exploration along the East African Rift.
- Elucidate the impact of volcanic debris on diagenesis, reservoir properties and sealing capacities of sandstones.
- Understand the impact of volcanism on the provenance of sub- and intra-volcanic sandstones of the Northwestern Highlands, Ethiopia.
- Document the response of drainage systems to their incremental filling by lava flows in the Northwestern Highlands, Ethiopia.
- Investigate the thermal maturation history of the sedimentary succession beneath the Ethiopian Flood Basalt Province and its implications for petroleum generation.
- Constrain the timing, duration and development of a major fluvial-lacustrine interlava sequence within the Ethiopian Flood Basalt Province.
Project length: 24 months from November 2016.
Contact(s): Simon Passey
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- Source rock potential of sub- and intra-volcanic mudstones and bitumen-typing of seep bitumen: Mekele, Blue Nile and Chilga basins, NW Ethiopia CASP.FBP2016-18.16
- Provenance of volcanic clasts from the Ethiopian Flood Basalt Province, Blue Nile Basin, Ethiopia CASP.FBP2016-18.15
- Secondary mineralisation of volcaniclastic rocks and its impact on sealing capacity and reservoir potential CASP.FBP2016-18.14
- Inundation of the Blue Nile River drainage network, Ethiopia, by Quaternary lava flows. Implications for river pathways, lake establishment and incision rates CASP.FBP2016-18.13
- Diatom assessment of the Ethiopian Flood Basalt Province, Ethiopia CASP.FBP2016-18.12
- Dating the Ethiopian Flood Basalt Province in the Blue Nile And Mekele Basins, Ethiopia CASP.FBP2016-18.11
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides-Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data