North Africa and Middle East Region
North Africa and the Middle East are the world's single most important petroleum province. The area will undoubtedly play a major role in world hydrocarbon production in coming decades, presenting both exploration and production challenges. In this region CASP has worked in Libya, Iran, Iraq and Oman.
Map of Region
History of Research
CASP scientists began working in this region in 2000. Fieldwork in Iran was first undertaken in 2001, with several field seasons taking place in the Zagros Mountains fold-and-thrust belt. In Oman, three short field seasons were undertaken in the north of the country. Active research ceased in both regions in 2004. Research in Libya was conducted in the Kufra and Murzuq basins in the south of the country; a total of nine field expeditions were undertaken to these basins between 2006 and 2009. Work in Iraq began with fieldwork in 2005 and was followed by collaborative research on well samples between 2011 and 2016.
Key Geological Topics Covered
The Zagros fold-and-thrust belt is a major hydrocarbon producing province. CASP researchers have used regional cross sections to help to understand the nature and structural evolution of this part of the Arabia-Eurasia collision zone. Studies in Oman have investigated regional Late Cretaceous palaeokarst surfaces and carbonate fracture systems. Early Palaeozoic petroleum systems have been characterised in North Africa (Libya) and Arabia (Iraq).
Most Recent Reports
- Summary of the Murzuq Basin Project Phase II with GIS database CASP.MBP.II.19
- Petrographical, geochemical, geochronological and thermochronological data from Precambrian basement and Phanerozoic igneous rocks in southern Libya CASP.MBP.II.18
- Paleozoic of Arabia Project: Summary report CASP.PZA2011-13.10
- Heavy mineral data and zircon U-Pb ages from Neoproterozoic-Mesozoic sandstones of the southeastern and northern margins of the Murzuq Basin CASP.MBP.II.17
- Petrographic study of outcrop samples from the eastern and northern margins of the Murzuq Basin CASP.MBP.II.16