South Atlantic Region
There are many hydrocarbon plays on the continental margins of the South Atlantic and sub-Andean basins. South Atlantic opening during the Mesozoic largely controlled the characteristics and plays in many of these basins. CASP South Atlantic research has integrated literature and field-based data from a number of areas to understand better the distribution of plays on both sides of the Atlantic.
Map of Region
History of Research
CASP carried out extensive research in the South Atlantic region between 1996 and 2001 in collaboration with institutions in North and South America (CIG: La Plata, Argentina; UTIG: Austin, Texas; Unisinos: Porto Alegre and University of Brasilia, Brazil). This resulted in a series of over 30 reports being issued, including reviews, palinspastic plate reconstructions and field studies. More recently, a Pre-Salt reservoir study has been completed utilising field analogues from China and Scotland.
Key Geological Topics Covered
Topics covered include the evolution of the sedimentary basins of the South Atlantic and Andean margins; the controls on South Atlantic opening; the controls on sand supply to West and Southern African basins and fieldwork results from key hydrocarbon basins, including the Falklands Islands-Malvinas, Neuquén and Sergipe-Alagoas. Further details of geological topics can be found through the links to specific areas.
Most Recent Reports
- Palaeoecology, taphonomy and diagenesis of Early Jurassic shell accumulations in Lake Sichuan, China, and their implications for Pre-Salt reservoirs in the South Atlantic CASP.CCPS2017-19.4
- Early Jurassic coquinas from Lake Sichuan, China – a depositional analogue for Cretaceous Pre-Salt reservoirs in the South Atlantic? CASP.CCPS2017-19.3
- Paleontology of the Maceió Fm (Alagoas, NE Brazil): New depositional model and its implications for source rock distribution CASP.SAP.30
- Appendices to the rift evolution of NE Brazil project syn-rift evolution of the Sergipe Alagoas Basin. Summary report, GIS and PDF files, amendments and complete references CASP.SAP.31
- Petrological study of rift sediments from the Sergipe-Alagoas Basin: Implications for reservoir geology and hydrocarbon exploration CASP.SAP.29