Southeast Europe to West Central Asia Region
The region spanning southeast Europe and west Central Asia contains a number of important late Palaeozoic to Cenozoic hydrocarbon basins. Some of these are frontier basins; others have a long history of exploration and production. We have focused on three main areas; the Dinarides-Hellenides, the Black Sea and the Caspian. The petroleum systems in these areas are complex. The principal exploration risks in the Dinarides-Hellenides and offshore in the Adriatic are source rock presence and structural complexity, whilst in the Black Sea and Caspian they are reservoir presence and quality.
Map of Region
History of Research
CASP has produced over 150 reports on the geological evolution of this region. Extensive fieldwork has been carried out in countries as diverse as Albania, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, northern Iran, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Russia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey and Ukraine in collaboration with local research institutes.
Key Geological Topics Covered
A large part of CASP work has focused on constraining the likely presence and quality of clastic reservoirs of Cenozoic age in the Black Sea and South Caspian, of Mesozoic age in the Central Caspian and of Mesozoic and late Palaeozoic age in the North Caspian. In the Dinarides-Hellenides region, our research has focused on along-strike variations in structural evolution and style, and the age, facies and provenance of syn-orogenic deposits. Additional research strands across the region have included understanding its Mesozoic-Cenozoic tectonic evolution, describing its stratigraphy, identifying source rock intervals and assessing the potential of Late Jurassic carbonate reef reservoir facies.
Active Research Projects
Most Recent Reports
- The nature of the carbonate-flysch transition in the external Dinarides and Hellenides (Croatia, Albania, Greece): timing and paleoenvironmental changes CASP.DHP2018-20.18
- Onset and duration of syn-orogenic sedimentation in the external Dinarides and Hellenides based on calcareous nannoplankton analysis CASP.DHP2018-20.17
- Palynology of the Slănicul de Buzău section in the southeast Carpathian foredeep: Towards a stratigraphic reference section CASP.BlackSea.NW2015-17.15
- A field-constrained balanced cross-section across the external Dinarides in Montenegro CASP.DHP2018-20.16
- Petrography, provenance and detrital zircon U-Pb age signature of palaeo-Amu Darya River sands from Turkmenistan: Implications for reservoir quality in the South Caspian Basin CASP.GCPP2019-20.5