Palynostratigraphy of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex in the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.2)
The chronostratigraphy and internal subdivision of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex are poorly constrained. This study will address these knowledge gaps by applying the novel palynozonation established in Project 1 (CASP.BSSC.1) to material from key wells within the UK and Dutch sectors of the Southern North Sea. This resultant correlation will aid the modelling of stratal architecture and CO2 migration pathways in the subsurface, which are essential for ensuring safe, long-term CO2 storage.
This project will apply a previous established high-resolution palynological zonation to provide new, robust age constraints for the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex in the UK and Dutch sectors of the Southern North Sea. This study will focus on key wells, which provide good quality conventional core materials through reservoir and seal intervals. Sampling will be conducted at high-resolution focusing on appropriate claystone and siltstone facies that will maximise palynomorph recovery. This study is one of several complementary projects comprising CASP’s Bunter Sandstone Storage Complex research theme that seek to understand the cyclostratigraphic, climatic and sedimentological controls on the reservoir and seal quality and architecture.
Results will be delivered via an interim data release with an associated presentation for client companies and a final technical report containing detailed sedimentary logs for the selected wells from the UK and Dutch sectors (Fig. 1), correlation panels and bioevent stratigraphy for the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex (based on the analysis of up to 250 samples from eight selected wells), palynomorph range and occurrence charts in StrataBugs format, and photographic plates illustrating age diagnostic taxa. The project will conclude with a client workshop during which all data and interpretations will be presented and discussed.
The project will launch at the beginning of September 2022 and has a planned duration of 20 months.
Contact: Niall Paterson for further information about this research and licensing options.
- Mudrock Seals in CO2 Storage Systems Thematic Research
- Bunter Sandstone Storage Complex Thematic Research
- A palynozonation of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex: onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.1)
- Palynostratigraphy of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex in the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.2)
- Cyclostratigraphy of the Early to Middle Triassic of the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.3)
- Reservoir composition and diagenesis (CASP.BSSC.4)
- Controls on Bunter Sandstone composition (CASP.BSSC.5)
- Middle Triassic seals – onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.6)
- Middle Triassic seals – UK and Dutch offshore wells study (CASP.BSSC.7)
- Reactions and Flow of CO2 Fluid in Compositionally Immature Sandstones Thematic Research
- The Impact of Volcaniclastic Rocks on CO2 Storage Thematic Research
- Data Packages
- Geological Collections and Data