Dinarides-Hellenides Project 2018-2020
The external Dinarides and Hellenides are an underexplored fold-and-thrust belt in southeastern Europe, with an emerging petroleum potential. Focused studies in the region aim to reduce uncertainty in seismic interpretation and petroleum system analysis by giving field constraints on along-strike variability in structural architecture, deformation timing and the composition and provenance of syn-orogenic deposits.
- Document and discuss the field geology of Epirus, including prominent structural geological features, and the thickness and sedimentology of Late Eocene to Pliocene syn-orogenic strata.
- Construct regional structural transects in the southern external Dinarides (Montenegro) and the northern external Hellenides (Greece) to better understand the style and amount of shortening, changes across transverse zones and their relationship to inherited Mesozoic structures.
- Constrain the burial and unroofing history of the external Dinarides and Hellenides using vitrinite reflectance, and detrital apatite (U-Th)/He and fission track analyses.
- Study the onset and duration of syn-orogenic deposition between Slovenia and northwestern Greece based on newly acquired biostratigraphic data.
- Analyse the carbonate-flysch transition at selected locations to give constraints on changes of depositional setting, trends in the palaeowater depth and the seal potential of basal flysch sediments.
- Conduct multi-proxy provenance analysis on selected samples from Slovenia to Albania to define potential source regions and highlight areas of orogenic activity.
Project length: 24 months from September 2018.
Contact(s): Balazs Toro
Reports Issued in This Project
- Provenance of syn-orogenic sediments in the external Hellenides (NW Greece) CASP.DHP2018-20.21
- Seal properties of basal flysch deposits in the external Hellenides (southern Albania) based on Mercury Injection Capillary Pressure (MICP) analysis CASP.DHP2018-20.20
- The external Dinarides of Montenegro: insights from apatite fission track and (U-Th)/He analyses CASP.DHP2018-20.19
- The nature of the carbonate-flysch transition in the external Dinarides and Hellenides (Croatia, Albania, Greece): timing and paleoenvironmental changes CASP.DHP2018-20.18
- Onset and duration of syn-orogenic sedimentation in the external Dinarides and Hellenides based on calcareous nannoplankton analysis CASP.DHP2018-20.17
- A field-constrained balanced cross-section across the external Dinarides in Montenegro CASP.DHP2018-20.16
- A geological reconnaissance of the islands of Paxos and Antipaxos CASP.DHP2018-20.15
- Detrital apatite (U-Th)/He and fission track analyses from the external Hellenides, NW Greece CASP.DHP2018-20.14
- Vitrinite reflectance analysis from the external Dinarides and Hellenides CASP.DHP2018-20.13
- A field-constrained balanced cross-section from northwest Greece CASP.DHP2018-20.12
- Structures and sediments along a transect in the northwestern Hellenides (Epirus, Greece) CASP.DHP2018-20.11
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides-Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data