Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
Hydrocarbon exploration has increasingly moved into volcanic basins, where intra-volcanic discoveries have been made. Through analogue studies, this project will address the many uncertainties that still remain concerning lava field sedimentation, reservoir architectures and properties, and the effects of volcanism on sub-volcanic sedimentary sections. In addition to addressing these generic uncertainties, this phase will also have specific relevance for those exploring along the East African Rift.
- To constrain the depositional history of the volcanically-affected Blue Nile Basin to aid comparisons to other East African lacustrine basins.
- To continue to understand the impact of volcanism on the provenance of sub- and intra-volcanic sandstones of the Northwestern Highlands, Ethiopia.
- To investigate the impact of shield volcanoes on drainage pathways.
- To characterise magnetic susceptibilities through heterogeneous volcanic sequences.
- To continue to elucidate the impact of volcanic debris on the diagenesis, reservoir properties and sealing capacities of sandstones.
Project Length: 24 months from February 2019.
Contact(s): Simon Passey
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- Controls on the magnetic susceptibilities of volcanic lithologies CASP.FBP2019-21.18
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides–Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data