Black Sea Project 2016-2018
Large data sets have been collected by CASP since the inception of the Black Sea Project in 2000. These have begun to constrain the composition, provenance and reservoir potential of sandstones within the basin’s sediment source regions. The main focus of this project phase will be the integration of these data sets to provide a basin-wide model for reservoir quality variations. This model will be tested by the analysis of well material from the basin itself. Provenance studies in Crimea and Bulgaria will be carried out to further populate the regional database. A compilation of U-Pb zircon ages from potential sediment source areas to the region will also be used to interpret provenance.
- The development of regional models to predict post-rift siliciclastic reservoir quality in the Black Sea.
- The characterisation of the Crimean provenance area.
- Further examination of the provenance of Miocene sandstones on the Kerch Peninsula and their implications for sediment sourcing to the Subbotina Field.
- Well sample characterisation of offshore reservoir intervals.
- The compilation of an integrated U-Pb zircon age database for the Black Sea region.
- A detailed provenance study of depositional systems shed into the Bulgarian sector of the southwestern Black Sea.
Project length: 24 months from February 2016.
Contact(s): Stephen Vincent
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- A circum-Black Sea U-Pb age database CASP.BlackSea2016-18.61
- Facies, provenance, and porosity-permeability of Eocene-Oligocene strata in the Bulgarian offshore, Western Black Sea CASP.BlackSea2016-18.60
- Thermochronometric, poro-perm and biostratigraphic analyses of samples from the East Balkan thrust belt, northeast Bulgaria CASP.BlackSea2016-18.59
- East Balkan provenance study, northeast Bulgaria CASP.BlackSea2016-18.58
- The petrography and provenance of well samples from the Ukrainian Black Sea CASP.BlackSea2016-18.57
- Integrated sedimentology and isotope geochemistry of a world-class source rock in the Black Sea: PhD progress report CASP.BlackSea2016-18.56
- Insights from Crimean provenance analysis into sediment sourcing to the Subbotina field CASP.BlackSea2016-18.55
- Characterisation of the Crimean provenance region CASP.BlackSea2016-18.54
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides-Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data