Greater Caspian Provenance Project 2019-2020
In this second phase, we carried out detrital zircon U-Pb age dating of two samples from each of the two sample datasets described in the first phase of this project in order to further characterise their source regions. The samples were derived from Quaternary alluvial sediments from the Amu Darya River and its tributary the Zarafshan; and from Bajocian and Albian shallow-marine sandstones from the Tuarkyr High, Turkmenistan, and the Volga River valley north of Volgograd, Russia, respectively.
Furthermore we carried out petrographic, conventional heavy mineral and detrital zircon U-Pb age analysis on six palaeo-Amu Darya River sands from the Upper Red Series of the Cheleken Peninsula of Turkmenistan. These analyses help to constrain the composition and provenance of reservoirs within the eastern South Caspian Basin, distinguish them from coeval Productive Series sandstones to the west, and provide insights into their reservoir potential.
Completed: November 2020.
Contact(s): Stephen Vincent
Reports Issued in This Project
- Petrography, provenance and detrital zircon U-Pb age signature of palaeo-Amu Darya River sands from Turkmenistan: Implications for reservoir quality in the South Caspian Basin CASP.GCPP2019-20.5
- Detrital zircon U-Pb age data from Jurassic to Cretaceous sediments of the greater Caspian region: Insights into sediment source areas and dispersal patterns CASP.GCPP2019-20.4
- Detrital zircon U-Pb age data from Quaternary sands of the Amu Darya River system CASP.GCPP2019-20.3
- Mudrock Seals in CO2 Storage Systems Thematic Research
- Bunter Sandstone Storage Complex Thematic Research
- A palynozonation of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex: onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.1)
- Palynostratigraphy of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex in the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.2)
- Cyclostratigraphy of the Early to Middle Triassic of the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.3)
- Reservoir composition and diagenesis (CASP.BSSC.4)
- Controls on Bunter Sandstone composition (CASP.BSSC.5)
- Middle Triassic seals – onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.6)
- Middle Triassic seals – UK and Dutch offshore wells study (CASP.BSSC.7)
- Reactions and Flow of CO2 Fluid in Compositionally Immature Sandstones Thematic Research
- The Impact of Volcaniclastic Rocks on CO2 Storage Thematic Research
- Data Packages
- Geological Collections and Data