Greater Caspian Provenance Project 2019-2020
In this second phase, we carried out detrital zircon U-Pb age dating of two samples from each of the two sample datasets described in the first phase of this project, in order to further characterise their source regions. The samples were derived from Quaternary alluvial sediments from the Amu-Darya River and its tributary the Zarafshan, and from Bajocian and Albian shallow-marine sandstones from the Tuarkyr High, Turkmenistan, and the Volga River valley north of Volgograd, Russia, respectively.
Furthermore we carried out petrographic, conventional heavy mineral and detrital zircon U-Pb age analysis on six palaeo-Amu-Darya River sands from the Upper Red Series of the Cheleken Peninsula of Turkmenistan. These analyses help to constrain the composition and provenance of reservoirs within the eastern South Caspian Basin, distinguish them from coeval Productive Series sandstones to the west, and provide insights into their reservoir potential.
Completed: November 2020.
Contact(s): Stephen Vincent
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- Petrography, provenance and detrital zircon U-Pb age signature of palaeo-Amu Darya River sands from Turkmenistan: Implications for reservoir quality in the South Caspian Basin CASP.GCPP2019-20.5
- Detrital zircon U-Pb age data from Jurassic to Cretaceous sediments of the greater Caspian region: Insights into sediment source areas and dispersal patterns CASP.GCPP2019-20.4
- Detrital zircon U-Pb age data from Quaternary sands of the Amu Darya River system CASP.GCPP2019-20.3
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides–Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data