Greenland-Norway Project 2018-2019: Permian Source Rock Study
The upper Permian (Wuchiapingian) Ravnefjeld Formation of the East Greenland Basin comprises a succession of basinal mudrocks that were deposited under fluctuating oxic/anoxic conditions. The formation contains intervals of oil-prone source rock and represents an onshore analogue of the correlative ‘lower Turbidite Unit’ of the Trøndelag Platform, mid-Norwegian Shelf. In the previous project phase, we presented sedimentological and geochemical analyses of the Ravnefjeld Formation from outcrop localities across a 315 km transect, from Jameson Land in the south, to Clavering Ø in the north.
This study builds upon the previous phase through the integration of additional sedimentological, geochemical (TOC, Rock-Eval Pyrolysis, GC-MS, SARA, C-isotopes, and U, Th and K) and vitrinite reflectance data. Palynological analysis of the Ravnefjeld Formation provides biostratigraphic age control and supports the proposed correlation with the ‘lower Turbidite Unit’.
The project contributes further insights into the lateral variability of upper Permian source rock quality and thickness, which has implications for future exploration of the mid-Norwegian Shelf.
Completed: February 2020.
Contact(s): Adam Szulc
Reports Issued in This Project
- Permian Source Rock Study II: Palynology of the Ravnefjeld Formation and overlying mudstones CASP.EGS.GNP.PSRS2018-19.174
- Permian Source Rock Study II: Geochemistry of the Ravnefjeld Formation and overlying mudstones CASP.EGS.GNP.PSRS2018-19.173
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides-Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Mudrock Seals in CO2 Storage Systems Thematic Research
- Bunter Sandstone Storage Complex Thematic Research
- A palynozonation of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex: onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.1)
- Palynostratigraphy of the Bunter Sandstone CO2 storage complex in the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.2)
- Cyclostratigraphy of the Early to Middle Triassic of the Southern North Sea (CASP.BSSC.3)
- Reservoir composition and diagenesis (CASP.BSSC.4)
- Controls on Bunter Sandstone composition (CASP.BSSC.5)
- Uppermost Permian to Middle Triassic seals – onshore analogue study (CASP.BSSC.6)
- Uppermost Permian to Middle Triassic seals – UK and Dutch offshore wells study (CASP.BSSC.7)
- Reactions and Flow of CO2 Fluid in Compositionally Immature Sandstones Thematic Research
- The Impact of Volcaniclastic Rocks on CO2 Storage Thematic Research
- Data Packages
- Geological Collections and Data