Dinarides–Hellenides Project 2016-2018
An extensive review of published geological data in the 2014-2016 project phase demonstrated that modern geological data are commonly contradictory, sparse, or non-existent in the Dinaric-Hellenic region. The 2016-2018 phase of the Dinarides–Hellenides Project addressed this data gap and provided field-based constraints on regional variations in structural style and the timing of orogenic evolution.
In the northern Hellenic fold and thrust belt (southern Albania), where modern geological data are absent, along-strike variations in structural architecture and the amount of shortening was described along two field-constrained balanced cross-sections. Apatite helium and fission track work gave constraints on the burial conditions and emplacement timing of thrust sheets. The effects of inherited Mesozoic palaeogeography on the structural evolution was investigated along the Borshi-Kardhiqi transverse zone.
Published data concerning the lithostratigraphy, biostratigraphy, and provenance of syn-orogenic deposits across the whole Dinaric-Hellenic region were reviewed. Integrated stratigraphic charts were produced for all major sedimentary basins to enable comparison of their general evolution and timing of foreland development. In southern Albania, lithostratigraphy, thickness variations and palaeotransport directions were discussed along two transects. The timing of syn-orogenic sedimentation was constrained by newly collected biostratigraphic data. Sandstone samples collected from across the Dinarides-Hellenides were also analysed for petrography and heavy mineral composition, and potential sediment source regions have been identified.
Completed: September 2019.
Contact(s): Balazs Toro
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- Stratigraphy and provenance of syn-orogenic sediments in the external Dinarides and Hellenides: A review CASP.DHP2016-18.10
- Two field-constrained balanced cross-sections from the south Albanian fold and thrust belt CASP.DHP2016-18.9
- Provenance of syn-orogenic sediments in the external Dinarides and Hellenides from Slovenia to Albania: A pilot study CASP.DHP2016-18.8
- Structural geology and tectonic evolution of the Borshi-Kardhiqi transverse zone CASP.DHP2016-18.7
- Apatite fission track and (U-Th)/He analyses from south-western Albania: Implications for the unroofing history of the northern external Hellenides CASP.DHP2016-18.6
- Structures and sediments along two transects in the south Albanian fold and thrust belt CASP.DHP2016-18.5
- Hydrocarbon shows in the Okshtuni window? Implications for the petroleum geology of the internal Hellenides CASP.DHP2016-18.4
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides–Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data