Circum-Arctic Provenance Database Project 2015-2017: Late Palaeozoic to Mesozoic Sedimentary Successions
This ArcGIS-based project built on the preceding 2013-2014 Circum-Arctic Provenance Database Project by updating previously complied datasets and integrating the following data into the Circum-Arctic Provenance Database: 1) CASP and literature U-Pb detrital zircon age data from Late Palaeozoic to Mesozoic strata from across the circum-Arctic region; 2) combined detrital zircon U–Pb and Hf isotope data, acquired as part of this project, from CASP samples of Triassic to Jurassic strata of the Sverdrup Basin and the Barents Shelf; and 3) a set of tectonic polygons from the Arctic region that were generated to help constrain when different areas were being uplifted and available for erosion. The project concluded by reviewing the stratigraphic and geographic distribution of Carboniferous-Triassic detrital zircons in Arctic Mesozoic strata. The source(s) of these grains and their potential sediment routing pathways were also explored. This was achieved by integrating the aforementioned datasets with palaeogeographic reconstructions created in GPlates. Studying the sediment routing of Arctic Late Palaeozoic to Mesozoic sandbodies has the potential to help test and refine tectonic models for the evolution of the Arctic region, including the opening of the Arctic Ocean, and to improve regional reservoir quality prediction.
The database now contains 3,570 sample records and 133,565 individual U-Pb analyses, together with 11,450 Lu-Hf analyses from 468 samples. Four reports were issued, each accompanied by an ArcGIS database.
Completed: July 2019.
Contact(s): Michael Flowerdew
The map below shows the samples collected and/or the areas of relevance for reports issued during this project phase. To interactively explore all the reports and samples belonging to the project series, click the blue button below the map.
Reports Issued in This Project
- Understanding the distribution of Carboniferous-Triassic detrital zircons in Arctic Mesozoic strata CASP.CAPD2015-17.7
- A database of geological provinces from the circum-Arctic region CASP.CAPD2015-17.6
- A combined U-Pb and Lu-Hf isotope study of detrital zircons from northerly derived, latest Palaeozoic to Mesozoic sandstones of the Sverdrup Basin, Canadian Arctic CASP.CAPD2015-17.5
- Data release: U-Pb detrital zircon data from circum-Arctic Carboniferous to Cretaceous sedimentary rocks CASP.CAPD2015-17.4
- Joining CASP
- How Projects are Designed
- Project History
- Black Sea Project 2019-2021
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2019-2021
- Dinarides–Hellenides Project 2018-2020
- Late Cretaceous Arctic Source Rock Project 2018-2019
- Barents Shelf Provenance Project 2017-2019
- Uralian Provenance Project 2017-2019
- North Atlantic Margins Evolution Project (NAME) 2017-2019
- Flood Basalt Impact on Hydrocarbon Systems Project 2016-2018
- Black Sea Project 2016-2018
- Data Packages
- Virtual Outcrop Models
- Geological Collections and Data